top of page
  • Writer's pictureBarwick & Associates

Filing Taxes: The Extended Edition

Coming to a theater near you! Just kidding, but making sure to file for an extension if you're not sure you'll have your tax information ready on time is incredibly important! But have no fear! Barwick & Associates is here! We are fully equipped to accomplishing this for you and/or your business.

Here's what an extension is all about:

If you can't meet the April 15 deadline to file your tax return, you can get an automatic six-month extension of time to file from the IRS. The extension will give you extra time to get the paperwork into the IRS, but it does not extend the time you have to pay any tax due. You will owe interest on any amounts not paid by the April deadline, plus a late payment penalty if you have paid less than 90 percent of your total tax by that date.

You must make an accurate estimate of any tax due when you request an extension. You may also send a payment for the expected balance due, but this is not required to obtain the extension.

To get the automatic extension, file Form 4868, Application for Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, with the IRS by the April 15 deadline, or make an extension-related electronic payment. You can file your extension request by computer or mail the paper Form 4868 to the IRS.

The system will give you a confirmation number to verify that the extension request has been accepted. Put this confirmation number on your copy of Form 4868 and keep it for your records. Do not send the form to the IRS.  As this is the area of our expertise, please contact us for more detailed information on how to file an extension properly!

It's not a movie, but it is valuable information & we are fully equipped to provide you with the assistance and guidance you need to get through tax season alive (in movie talk of course). Let us know how we can help you, today!

7 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page